Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

12 Hour Flowers? and "William Shatner: Musical Genius!"

Is there a botanist in the house?!
OK, let me set the stage.
Every morning since we moved into our new place I have taken the elementary (and later middle school) kids to school utilizing the same route each and every morning.  Suffice to say we have gotten quite familiar with the lay of the land. just before leaving our neighborhood, a few doors down sits the neighborhoods "Hank Hill".  Sporting an immaculately sculpted and landscaped lawn.  The epitome of anal retentive perfection each blade of lush green grass seems perfectly sized, nary a blemish or brown spot to be found.  Perfectly edge and cascadeing lines rolling seamlessly around tree and flowering bush.  This morning however something was different.  Now mind you, yesterday morning these were not there.  Nowhere they there last night as I came home.  But somehow between 7.30 last night and 8.00 this morning dozens upon dozens of these pink flowers dotted his lawn in abundance...

Clearly because of the sporadic blooming and lack of a dirt halo around the base these had not been planted but somehow sprouted up over night.  I can only assume they are some kind of flowering weed,but as we progressed further into the other neighborhoods we saw them every where! 
Anyone here seen "Day of the Trifids?"
Crazy I know but after a brief moment of clear thinking I began to imagine some 50's style B-Movie alien invasion!
ANYWAY!
Perhaps it's just my penchant for quirky oddities from the musical industry, or my love for all things Star Trek but recently when my son Elijah turned me onto the joys of free musical downloads I (re) discovered William Shatners covers of some classic tunes.  yes from Elton john, to David Bowie, Queen even Ozzy Osborn (Black Sabbath) Not to mention a tune he did on his own that was featured in the flick "Free Enterprise".  Speaking of which, if you are any kind of fan of fandom check this flick out!  A true bit of genius celebrating the lives of Fanboys everywhere!  William is absolutely brilliant in it! 
BACK!
From 1968 to present he has put out 7 albums and quite frankly they have been pretty much roundly panned by all.  Well, with a few exceptions.  His latest one in 2004 featuring a remake of Pulps "common people" featuring Joe Jackson was widely acclaimed (truth be told it's my second fave as well) the first being from Free enterprise.  Thanks to my lovely wife for downloading some of these following videos (she humors me so) and also catch his appearance at the George Lucas Life Time Achievement Award!
See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment