Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

This Is Why We Work On OLD Bikes!

Humph!
One of the tasks we perform around here is the assembly of new bikes for folks ordering them on-line.  Usually they're some mass produced "Box Store" bikes, bought from "wal-mart.com" or what have you, so the expectation for much needed "adjustments" are high.  Usually coming with bent or warped wheel's, bad freewheels, mis-aligned derailleurs, damaged plastic parts, what have you.  But yesterday a wonderful lady, whom had come in last week to meet us and set up an appointment to assemble an import she was soon to receive, brought in a supposed Italian made ladies hybrid.  With  less then sedate anticipation I excitedly tore into the box, eager to begin.  The first thing I noticed when tearing into the large cardboard box, was the forks.  Suntour shock, the exact same ones that come on the Schwinn's we see so readily around here.  Not low-end, but certainly not what I was expecting.  The derailleurs, and integrated shifters, all Shimano, were of the "bargain" genre, the Acera only a step above the bottom line Tourney. And the style and composition of the frame looked identical to all the other newer, mass produced hybrids.  And in the end I had the same issues as aforementioned.  And to top it all off...no kickstand.  Yep, Kickstands are now considered "optional" equipment.
Feh!
Give me a rusty old scrap bike any day.  At least then I know why I have so much work to do!
ANYWAY!
Unfortunately nothing new to feature!  Oh wait, that's not true, I did get one ride done, this one a brand new men's cruiser.  I guess the reason I forgot it is it only lasted about six minutes before it sold, but I'll shoot a pic anyway!  We bought it from some folks who originally brought it in for a repair to the bottom bracket.  When they found out it was more then just tightening it up, and in fact needed to be replace due to a broken bearing ring and a gouged out race, they were disgusted as they only had had it for three weeks, they just sold it. Fine by me!
Also like to thank the MULTITUDE of re-pairs that came in yesterday, kept me hopping ALL day!  Hence the lack of new goodies, but have no fear!  I'm caught up with re-pairs and will be going on to finish up some new sweeties!
'till later!
"LIKE I SAID, A REAL LOOKER!"

No comments:

Post a Comment