Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Another Self Righteous Old Fart Rant!

What is it with the American "Group" Self-Conscience?
For a week or so while doing my shopping or perusing the Internet, I have been met with a deluge of memorials and testimonials to Whitney Houston.  What a talent she was, and how much she gave to the world, the beauty of her music...etc...etc.  Same thing when Micheal Jackson had passed, and still to this day will you find mention of him and the goings on behind the scenes in the ever unfolding drama of his demise.  But what strikes me as odd is, why are we celebrating, memorializing or even caring about the demise of a drug addict and a pedophile?
Forgive me if I sound heartless.  The passing or loss of any (OK...most) human life is regrettable and unfortunate.  Especially of those who have contributed to society.  And I am WELL aware of the fact that every human has their peccadillo's and more then one skeleton in their closet.  But when such perversions, illegal and/or immoral activity is SO in the public eye, why do we forgive it?  If Joe Average were to date, have relations and marry his own daughter he would be ostracized by society and if she were under age would be locked up and quickly married to Bubba the wife slayer!  But Woody Allen still makes movies?
Even in the political arena!  NASA and the CIA were founded and staffed by ex-Nazi's, and Georgie-Boy Bush is on the lecture circuit?!  And NOT in prison?!
If my wife fell off the wagon and was indulging in a drug binge, she would be locked up and all her friends would more then likely disavow any knowledge of her, and yet Demi Moore is pitied?  Robert Downy Jr.  one of my favorites, had a LONG history of drug problems, eventually landing him in the stir.  BUT, he got out, he got clean and his career has flourished.  You have to admire that.  THAT is the the kind of example that should be lauded and revered, who's career should be honored
Look.  I find it very hard to feel any sympathy to anyone indulging in narcotics.  I would have made a LOUSY drug counselor.  My experience with it is VERY limited.  About 8 years ago after suffering a back injury at work the doctor put me on some pain meds and bed rest.  Neither was appealing, and the drugs really didn't take away the pain or help me function.  That's when a neighbor offered me up some Oxy.  After taking the first one within an hour I was able to move and felt numb, tingly and TOTALLY peaceful.  My lovely wife said it was the nicest I had ever been!  I thought "What's the harm?"
Well the harm was, within a few days, i found one wasn't cutting it.  The pain was returning sooner so I upped the dosage thinking "What's the harm?" after a few more days, as the dosages continued to increase I ran out of what I had.  Revisiting my neighbor, I inquired if he had anymore.  His regrettable answer was "No" but he could get me more...at $10.00 a pop!
whoa.
Little diodes in my brain started to click on.  incredulously I had become something I loathed, and was scantly aware.  I was seriously considering dipping into my meager income to support a drug habit?!?!
Needless to say practicality (not to mention revulsion) saved the day, and I respectfully declined.
My point is, we ALL have a choice.  We all have the where-to-all to suppress urges and desire that are counter-productive to our health and well being.  Not to mention that of the people who we love.
So why is it that we hold "celebrities" to a different standard?  Forgive them their excesses while admonishing those of others?  If drugs, pedophilia, murder, adultery, theft, political meanderings are unlawful for us...they should be for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment