Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Am I On The Wrong End Of This Argument?

First off, I have to pre-qualify any of my following opinions with this statement:
to wit: I fully support any and all citizens of the world to follow any religious doctrine of their choosing, or to follow none, if they so deem appropriate.  Any faith, or non faith from Christianity to paganism to the "Church of the Holy White Bread" (ask me about that story later)  is just as valid as the next.  I myself was Christened Catholic, although as far back as memory serves I have only  known to be lapsed.  As so much of our beliefs are based on the opinions and teaching of our parents, I follow a rather simplistic but all together brilliant philosophy my father set forth for me at a very young age when I inquired as to why we no longer attended mass.  He stated (and in retrospect I believe there must have been some other crisis of faith that drove him or my Mother from the church) that "Church is where folks went on Sunday to pray together and sing together in peace and harmony, then tried to kill each other getting out of the parking lot."  In, short organized Religion was tantamount to hypocrisy.  A belief I have embraced and refined over the years.
So it is with that in mind that I comment on the following story I read this morning that fills me with a wee bit of trepidation.
Pope Francis recently spoke in the Sarinian capital, Cagliari in front of a gathering of roughly 20,000 people.  Abandoning his prepared speech, in lieu of a more personal, improvised speech, he rift for about 20 minuets after listening to the heart wrenching tale from Francesco Mattana, a 45 year old married father who has been unemployed for over four years.  The Pope went on to rally against the Global Economic System and stated  "We don't want this globalized economic system which does us so much harm. Men and women have to be at the center (of an economic system) as God wants, not money." 
"The world has become an idolater of this god called money," he said.
He then went on to state,  "It is not a problem of Italy and Europe ... It is the consequence of a world choice, of an economic system that brings about this tragedy, an economic system that has at its center an idol which is called money," he said to the cheers of the crowd.
Francis said globalization had brought with it a culture where the weakest in society suffered the most and often, those on the fringes "fall away", including the elderly, who he said were victims of a "hidden euthanasia" caused by neglect of those no longer considered productive.
"To defend this economic culture, a throwaway culture has been installed. We throw away grandparents, and we throw away young people. We have to say no to this throwaway culture. We want a just system that helps everyone," he said.
 Francis, who as bishop of Buenos Aires sided with unemployed workers in their conflict with government austerity plans, ended his improvised speech with a prayer asking God to "give us work and teach us to fight for work".
Hmmm? 
OK, so here's my issues.  While I agree with the sentiment, that work and a realistic equality and division of wealth amongst all people should be made a reality, I question the source of the rhetoric.  I will be the first to say my knowledge of the wealth of the Vatican is limited to what I hear in anecdotal reference and assumption, and to tell the truth I spent some time this morning researching my preconceptions and quite frankly came away even more uninformed.  There doesn't appear to be any real empirical data as to the extant of wealth held there.  BUT, considering the assertion that there is held, within, an extensive stock of gold, not to mention historical and artistic treasures of immeasurable wealth, as well as some PRIME real estate, what hinders the church from, maybe, spreading the wealth?  As someone who has, in the past, found it necessary to swallow ones pride and seek assistance from the local Catholic charities, I can say from experience that whatever clothing, or food, or monies I have been blessed to receive did not, in fact come from the church coffers it self, but through the generous donations of the folks filling the pews on Sunday.  Folks just like you and I.  Truthfully, I do not know, to what extant, if any the church digs into it's deep pockets to help various causes, and I leave it to the better informed to correct any erroneous statements I may be asserting, but it just seems like they could be doing more, at the very least for the self same suffering country that they reside in.
Now, more importantly is the underpinnings of some of his statements, I dare say me be rather....inciting?  The term "Fight for Work" and his assertions that the Global Economy is to be blamed for the worlds woes.  How much of that is true?  And how much is damning? 
Globalization, while flawed, is in fact responsible for the cessation of Global conflict.  Look at Europe.  In a perpetual state of War for the majority of it's existence, culminating in the events of World War Two, only waylaid their aggression when their financial realities became linked with the formation of the European Union.  And only through economic downturn, and some ill advised maneuvering on some head honcho parts, has the old specter of cultural and ethnic biases started to rear their ugly heads again.  No one was fighting when the economy was prosperous.  And true with prosperity comes those who exploited it.  But do we really need a religious slant as far as "those who worship the God of money"?   Quite frankly, history has shown us what swirling religious fervor has done to the course of human events, and I don't think I would like to see the direction those words would take us, especially on a population desperate, and starving and looking for heads to place upon a spike. 
No, I don't have the answers.  Years ago I questioned an economy based upon the trading of paper in deference to one based upon production, goods and services.  Or why the opinions of a select few shouting "Buy or Sell" in a stress filled atmosphere dictates the course of humanities prosperity.  But what I DO now, is religious leaders spouting out potentially dangerous, inflammatory statements would be best kept quite, in this tumultuous atmosphere.
OK, I'm gonna get off that for now, and speak of our own, meager contribution to the global economy.  We would like to thank all the folks visiting on Saturday, and they had us hopping first thing!  Sold the Iron Horse commuter right out the gate to a young man looking to get to and fro work, lickety split!  As well as the Dual Shock "Daily Banger Special" to a gent who, humorously was incredulous as to the asking price.  Asking several times "Are you SURE it's ONLY $70.00!"  ESPECIALLY after taking the sweet ride for a test drive!  I LOVE it when they say things like that!  (his eyes got REAL big when I told him about the one year warranty!) Also, sold off a couple of the kiddo bikes, and got a really nice 18" girls Tony Hawk BMX in trade! FINALLY sold the Schwinn Stingray chopper that has been camping out here for a few months.  Some young man is gonna be REAL happy with that B-Day present!
Also got IN a couple nice rides as well!  A 26" Mongoose Edge that needed A LOT of work, but we needed some stock, so I did her up good!  ALSO a SWEET Big Boy Cruiser MADE IN AMERICA!!!  So check 'em out below!
So I will end with a special "SHOUT OUT" to our newest "Tweenager", Logan, who today has hit the Twelve year Mark!!  We celebrated yesterday (as is the "nearest Sunday" tradition in our house) and he absolutely glowed at the goodies he got!  Love ya son!
Peace!

GORGEOUS "MADE IN USA" CRUISER
ONLY $130.00!!

21 SPEED, DUAL SHOCK "EDGE"
ONLY $75.00!!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a blind fan or fanatic of any form of religion or government, as they are responsible for almost all wars and a vast majority of the deaths on this planet. However, I'm even less of a fan of anarchy. If people thought for themselves and acted responsibly treating other as they would want to be treated the world would be a much happier place. IMHO.
    Was that $70 dualshock bike a Specialized? (edited my earlier post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the anarchy. As much as I am a fan of post apocalyptic movies, it is more a case of an interest in "what If" and the creativity that can abound from someone elses vision of what would come after a major catastrophe. No, that was not a SPecialized, it was a Wal-Mart Genesis, hence the low price. The previous owner slapped on a Specialized sticker.

      Delete