Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2012

Dawn Of A New Era!

Anyone who has paid any attention to my ramblings here can attest to the fact that I am slowly becoming an old curmudgeon.  I wasn't always this way.  Oh don't get me wrong, I've always been a wee bit of a sarcastic A-hole, but in an endearing fun way (*cough*).  Perhaps my experience as a father has lead me to this new found philosophy, as I can vividly remember beginning my wide variety of careers at a young age (roughly around twelve, I can't count the prior 3 years working on the farm as that is relegated to the classification of "chores', but spend your summers loading and unloading hay bales for 8 hours a day and see if you don't label it "labor:)  Understandably the laws regarding "child labor" have become more and more constricting, coupled with the current state of the global job market (phd's and mba's after 8 years in college flipping burgers at Mickey D's to pay off those "OH-so-useful" student loans) has left very little for aspiring teenagers to do!  And by aspiring I mean those kids with their hands out every 10 minutes wanting a "loan"!  Well, at our household there are no such limitations to career growth.  But up until recently i left it up to our teenagers to "choose" whether or not they worked and earned some cash.  Well, it is no longer a choice.  I choose for them.  Twas he most recent opportunity offered my 16 year old to go to a concert that brought about the radical change.  Nestled in his well worn position on the sectional sofa, he and his collaborating (but well meaning) Mother gently brought up the chance to go and see some obnoxious noise makers posing as musicians, with a friend of his.  Truthfully, I have no concern regarding trust with Elijah, as I know he will make wise decisions when it comes to drugs and alcohol, but it was the price tag of $80.00 plus gas that threw me.  His hand firmly stretch out with the most assured expectation that I would swiftly grace it with a cool hundred.  Never one to flinch or falter I smoothly rebuffed his insinuation that I would willingly part with a C-note, and adeptly countered with the generous offer to fund his expedition provided that he "earn" it.
Wow.
I've never seen happy expectation replaced with a look of utter defeat and resignation so quickly!
He genuinely expected me to just say "no Problem!" I really have no idea how he could make such a leap of faith! 
Don't get me wrong.  If I have it, they have it.  BUT if it is something they want beyond basic needs I have always stuck to the "work for it" philosophy. 
Needless to say, even though the offer was open ended and quite frankly he could have earned the cash he needed in less then a week of after school work, he let this opportunity slide.  Never once making an attempt.
Sad.
I wish when I was young I had someone willing to just hand me a job, I always had to hunt them down and through tenacious audacity procure them!
So, after absorbing the reality that my 16 year old was devoid of motivation to succeed (as his lackadaisical involvement with schooling and studies shows vivid proof) I thought it now fell upon me to (grunting and laboring all the way) to push him, physically from the nest.  And as my 14 year old has not so much a problem with work ethic, but more so behavior, I made the official announcement last week that from now on the two would accompany me at the shop each day after school and all day Saturday, and work, preparing them for the inevitable stint of full time in summer.
I had no intention, when we opened this business of forcing them into the same trade that i choose.  I'd rather they find their own way in life.  BUT, until such a time as they show interest in  SOMETHING, at least they will have a vocation, and I won't have to stomach them sleeping until the afternoon, eating everything in the fridge and taking a nap until dinner!
ANYWAY!
The tail end of last week was a blitzkrieg!  Sold out of all the new goodies right quick and built another batch (what's left is pic'd below).  Would like to thank all involved in the stock turn around!  Whether it was your first time around, or were a return customer (yep!  We get ALOT of those!) Thanks so much!  Also, the bevy of re-pairs that come in, as well as all the glowing kind words of referrals!  SO GREAT!  And thanks to the young lady who brought her Schwinn in for a full once over, and expressed such shock as to how low the price was that she ended up having me do more!  To top it off she called in a couple days later to tell us how much she loved the work we did and that she was telling all her friends!  I LOVE calls like that! 
I also LOVE to brag about it! 
Please understand, we are neither egotistical nor snobbish, we just like to know what we do touches people and helps them!  It's a GREAT feeling!
OK, Self aggrandizing over.
Today we got a bevy of new goodies we hope to be pumping out, so's I best get busy!
See ya soon!
24" BMX
ONLY $105.00!!!

SCRATCH BUILD BMX
ONLY $55.00!!

LADIES "DAILY BANGER SPECIAL"
ONLY $60.00!!!

MEN'S "DAILY BANGER SPECIAL"
ONLY $70.00!!!

1 comment:

  1. And people always ask me, "Gosh, Uncle Chippie, how is it YOU never had kids?"

    Oh, no reason, really...

    In all honestly, Steven, you know I think your kids rock, and it will be great seeing them in your way, I mean working in the shop!

    ReplyDelete