Search This Blog

Sunday, July 15, 2012

.....SQUIRREL!

Obscure references.  Go out and rent "Up!" on DVD, and you'll come to acquaint yourself with what has now become, in our home the quaint reference to one's inability to ignore the sudden unexpectedness  of the alluring "distraction."
That was in effect our day today, blissfully so!
And I would love to thank all the folks for granting us such awe inspiring, heart warming, nostalgic, and challenging "Squirrel's" 
Set out this morning to polish off a sweet Motiv I started last night before close but was quickly torn away by two fast out the door buy's first thing.  Once back on the wheel set, I had to all together abandon it as the traditional Saturday repairs began to trickle in, and as always thanks EVER so much for all your trust and faith in our work!  Of course,Saturday is a great day for buying as those looking to make space in the garage, shed or back yard finally give in to their significant other incessant "suggestions" about the unlikelihood of their ever actually riding the damn thing to make way for the next wave of "stuff" and come in to unburden themselves and enrich our lives.  The peak of today's goodies,and oooooo I shuddered a tad in my nethers when i saw these beauties! One was a succulent  47cm Trek road bike, aluminum frame graced with some new trimmings in an Italian saddle, leather raps and such, and an older, but cherry Trek 820 MTB!  My "Mr. Krabb" like pincers grasped briefly at my cash, but the price (though more then I usually allow myself to spend) was way more then reasonable.  I only had to fret the moolah outlay briefly though because even before i started the re-furb the road bike sold to an ECSTATIC young couple of diminutive stature looking to hit the trails on the morrow! The Old Murray that has sat alone and dejected for the last coupleof weeks found it's mate today in a very kindly older gent today who, after suffering the loss of his vehicle quickly came to the conclusion that while necessary and at times relaxing, "walking everywhere sucks".  And after spending sometime helping him reaquaint himself with the "joy" (that's a euphamism for "groin challenging") of bike riding, and a few ajustment we watch him ride off happy, and a little less inconvienced.  We'd also like to thank Kim from "Big Brothers and Big Sisters" for giving us the chance to help out her young ward get her ride spruces up and ready for the remainder of the summer and the next school year!
Now even though we love all the folks who grace us with their presence each and every day (yes in some cases I may be being a tad bit generous in that statement) their were two encounters I have to say were the highlight of not only my day, but perhaps my whole month to date.  First is young Julia (and please forgive me if I got the name wrong as it's 3 am and I forgot to write it down...but you know who you are) and her Mom. Seems Julia has been searching for some time for that "just right" ride for her college and work career.  They have visited many a bike shop and left less then fullfilled (not to mention sticker shocked) and spent many an afternoon perusing Craigslist.  In her words seems "every bike she saw on Craigslist she really liked just happened to come from here (that's us!).  And they decided they just had to come in and check us out!  Well after a brief confab to get to know her, and her wants and needs my keen eyes of observation came to the conclusion that she was a "retro-chick" (no aspersion to the feminine gender implied...so no hate mail please!) and I directed her to the sweet '65 Schwinn Racer.
One ride was all it took.
She was in love.
I've got to say here and now that to see that not only her, but her Mom as well were genuinely, gleefully excited with their discovery and acquisition of this sweet piece of Americana, put a whole new hitch in my giddy-up!  I will now and forever say "A bike will always find it's owner!"
"Happy Trails little lady!"
Next mention goes to Chris.  A gent of my generation came in with his young son looking to upgrade his kiddo's ride (woefully to small) to something a little more slick (not to mention that fit) and settled on the Hyper ("hey Dad..it's perfect!  Got my name and classification right on it!).  Chris get's the day's "No-Prize" for the conversation starting question "Who's the Firefly fan?" (in reference to my slight collection of memorabilia adorning the desk area in umbrage to the all to brief "classic of all time sci-fi shows") Turns out he's another Fanboy from "back in the day" and a collaborative copacetic conversation of commemorative  comicdom catharsis convened ! Believe me the chance to occasionally step out of the bike buy role and relive the heyday of my youthful passions is always a welcome one!  Thanks for allowing me the chance sir!
And speaking of comic movies...
Last night we finally got a chance to watch this years earlier release of "Ghost Rider 2"  and all I have to say is...
pause.'
Yes, I had to pause at the end of the film to try and decide whether i liked it or not.
The jury's still out on this one.

Bad points.

Nicholas Cage.  I wasn't thrilled with the casting choice to begin with and he upd the notch several ticks on the outlandishness of his performance on this one, and while I could see where he was trying to go with it, he just doesn't have the chops to pull it off.
budget.  57 mill.  May seem like a lot to a poor schlep building bikes for a living, but in the face of some of the other cash being slung out for high tech special effects and such it made them make some tough choices.
script.  The whole "child of Satan coming to bring about the Apocalypse" thing....tad bit of an easy cop out.

Good point's
Danny.  They brought in Johnny Blaze's replacement.  Danny is the Son of Satan, and has all his powers but doesn't suffer the whole "human form hindering the use of them" thing.
budget. 57 mill.  The tough choices made what effects they used work!  Made them choose some out of country locals and local talent (way CHEAPER) and now overcrowded highways but expansive barren roadways in locals like Turkey.
Script.  Nice homage to the source by interlacing comic inspired graphics into the storytelling and setting up the more modern personification of the true "Spirit of Vengeance"
Love the new look of this Ghost Rider. Darker, with a fuller head of flame and deep black smoke.  Plus his leathers bubble like molten tar.  Cool effect.
All in all though, they grossed 139,000.Mill so by Hollywood standards, that's a success.
If they do another one, skip Nick and go on to Danny.
Well folks I think I have sufficiently tuckered myself out so now I'm gonna try and sleep a couple hours until Mizzy wakes up again!
Night!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful experience on becoming a new bike owner! The bike is beautiful, I feel new energy when riding it. I hope to stop by in the future! Your store and expertise will be recommended often!

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! We look forward to you visiting in the future! Take good care of that sweet gem!

    ReplyDelete