Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2012

Gun Control, The Legacy of Heath Ledger and "Keep Your Damn Hands Off My Comic Book Icons!!"

Forgive me if this latest current event tirade is a little bit out of date (by about 9 days) but given my near death state over last week I have a viable excuse.
Surprisingly in over 5 years of blogging there is one taboo subject I have never had  reason to touch on.
Until today.
Gun Control.
I am for the most part a Live and Let Live person.  I wont past judgement on an individual who finds "sport" in the whole sale slaughter of innocent wildlife in the pursuit of a beer and whiskey fueled recreational weekend.  To tell the truth there was a time 20odd years ago that I was in fact fully licenced to carry a concealed hand gun in all these great 50 states.
 And I did.
Taurus 9mm with an extended clip, with two more on the shoulder harness.  The work I was doing at the time occasionally involved carrying large quantities of cash,and it made me feel a little more secure.  But my opinion's on guns in the home changed radically when our first child became a toddler and we quickly learned that "child safety locks" translated into "surmountable obstacle for child, hindrance of access for parents!" Before we learned the hard way I opted to sell my arsenal and buy my wife a ring and never looked back.
BUT that doesn't mean i am going to preach to everyone coming out of the Bass Pro Shop about peace and free love.
HOWEVER...
The recent events in Aurora, Colorado have brought to light a growing mass insanity that grips a nation so entrenched in their love of the "right to bear arms"
I will not relive the horrific facts of this recent atrocity that took place at their premiere showing of "Batman, the Dark knight Rises" short of saying some deranged lunatic calling himself "The Joker" opened fire on a theatre full of people killing and injuring many.
What I WILL ask though  is how many more of these attacks will it take for the population to realize that the purchasing and possession of arsenals of semi and fully automatic assault weapons, stockpiles of armor piercing rounds, riot guns, and full body armour should be relegated SOLELY to law enforcement, militias, the military and licenced private security!  Keep your hunting rifles and hand guns for home security (although check the stats on that one, more often then not having a gun at home during a burglary just ensures the burglar has something to shoot you with) but NO ONE has a reason to have THAT much fire power.  Either they are survivalists, or they are psychotics (sometimes one in the same). Personally if aliens or the Russians, or terrorists or Fundamentalists attempt to attack our shores I'll put my faith in our military to keep me safe.  I have NO interest in having firepower anywhere near accessible for Owen!!
Now here's where some of you may say "Boy, your priorities are WAY askew!"
While learning of the attack, I began furiously searching web posts for the inevitable backlash this would induce, and sure enough the mainstream and fringe groups alike were quick in their response.  Yes some folks renewed their campaign calls for gun control but their more rational cries were far over shadowed by the brain dead chorus who were quick to point out the "damaging" influence of films featuring such anarchic creatures as "The Joker" (may you suffer festering boils for casting aspersions on the late Heath Ledgers masterful portrayal of the Clown Prince of Crime!!) or those films compelling people to acts of gratuitous violence (hey...news flash...anyone taking out a film audience with an assault gun had a few screws loose, and probably would have snapped regardless of WHAT they watched!) And of course their was ample blame to throw around at comic books, TV and video games as well!
Wow.
Perhaps these folks should break open a history book.  Movies by and large have only been a part of mainstream for about a hundred years, so set the way back machine to before 1878.  Was their no violence then.  No atrocities of man?  No mass killings? (Sir James Brooks, 1849)  No serial murderers (think Vlad the Impaler)
Well take those totals and put them up against the total world population and compare it with today.  I think the results you find will be rather illuminating.  And they didn't have any where NEAR the amount of scapegoats that folks have nowadays!  When will people open their eyes to the truth of the situation, throughout history we have had men, women, governments and countries that have been for a lack of better terms, insane.  And short of religious belief they had no more external motivation or inspiration for their blood letting!
In short with very little effort this horrific human easily acquired numerous high powered weapons simply by visiting a few stores and stockpiled assault gear and thousands of rounds of munitions by ordering online, with no safe guards!?  You have to have permits and government clearance to purchase large quantities of fertilizer if your a farmer, but you can outfit a private army with a little patience and a Pay Pal account!
If it were me I'd be happier if the only thing he could have gotten on line was a copy of Batman Begins and the latest issue of Detective comics!
ALL RIGHT!
I'm stepping down off my soap box, not that I don't have more to add, but the hours getting late!

Night!
SWEET 20" BMX
ONLY $40.00!!

LIGHT WEIGHT 21 SPEED ROAD RACER
ONLY $90.00!!!

"WICKED FAST!" GT OUTPOST!
ONLY $100.00!!

24" JAMIS MTB!!
ONLY $130.00!!

No comments:

Post a Comment